In our June newsletter we have our usual information, but don’t miss these special announcements:
- Bristol City Councilman Neal Osborne will be on our agenda Monday June 10th at our regular committee meeting, 7:00 at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse.
- Under “Events to Remember” friend of the Committee Bill Bunch of Tazewell has invited us to attend/participate in the Inaugural Juneteenth Celebration at the Tazewell Fairground.
- Note that polls will be open on Tuesday June 11th for the Republican Primary.
News from our May meeting:
- Chairman Carl Williams distributed information on current officeholders and a calendar of upcoming elections.
- I spoke about reading the Mueller Report, which can be downloaded free as a .pdf, or purchased as a paperback or an audiobook. The best search terms to find the Report are “Mueller Report download free” for the .pdf, “Mueller Report book” for the paperback, and “Mueller Report audiobook” for the audiobook. Read the item description carefully to be sure that you are getting the actual Mueller Report, not a book about the Report. If you have trouble finding a link, respond to the newsletter and I will send you a link.
Events to remember:
- GOP Primary Tuesday, June 11. Polls will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on the day of the primary. A low turnout is expected, but all precincts will be open as usual. Absentee voting for the Primary is now in progress 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the office of Penny Limburg, Director of Elections and General Registrar of Voters, at City Hall, 300 Lee Street, Bristol Virginia.
- Inaugural Juneteenth Celebration in Tazewell, June 19th, 2019. This is a community gathering to celebrate June 19 and all the freedoms that have ensued from that date. Free camping Tuesday evening to Thursday morning at the Tazewell County Fairgrounds. Admission is free, and the public is invited. Friend of the Committee, Bill Bunch, who is Co-Chair of Tazewell Independent Neighbors sent us this invitation. Please try to attend or send representatives from your Committee. There will be a Black History Quiz and an Essay Contest. Bill’s group needs to raise $2,000.00 to pay the Middle School, High School, and Undergraduate prizes awarded to winners in these contests. Donations will be much appreciated. Check the Facebook page “Tazewell Independent Neighbors” for event details and more information.
Here is our Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee (BVDC) Regular Calendar for June 2019:
- Committee Meeting, Monday, June 10th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. City Councilman Neal Osborne will be with us, and we look forward to hearing from him. Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are represented by the committee, and are encouraged to attend and become involved in committee activities.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, June 15th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, VA. Guests are welcome. Attendees pay individually for breakfast. Come and join us for coffee and conversation!
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, June 17th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are invited.
Hope to see you in June!