It is July and summer!
We have these special announcements:
- Bristol VA City Councilman Neal Osborne was elected Mayor in a reorganization meeting Monday July 1, 2019 at City Hall. Congratulations to Mayor Neal Osborne, and to Bristol Virginia!
- Bristol VA City Councilman Anthony Farnum plans to visit with us at our regular committee meeting Monday July 8th at our regular committee meeting, 7:00 p.m. at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse.
- We regret the passing of our committee member and supporter Jane Sheffey, who served the committee and the Democratic Party as a member of the Bristol Virginia Electoral Board for many years. Jane has a long history of community service across the region and with many organizations, as noted in her obituary. We will all miss her, particularly those of us who serve as Officers Election and on the Electoral Board.
- Thank you to committee Secretary Kim Willis for her construction of a Facebook Group, Bristol VA Democratic Committee! Several of us enjoyed watching the debates last week “together” in the chat session she set up for us. We are looking forward to more Bristol VA Democrats joining our group and participating in chats and discussions. If you are on Facebook, look us up! Our committee page will continue at Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee on Facebook. Democrats are invited to like our page and join our group.
- The July 4th parade in Bristol Virginia will be at 5:00 p.m. on July 4th.
News from our June meeting:
- Our guest speaker, Councilman Neal Osborne, informed the Committee regarding city issues, reporting that the City Budget passed with most city employees receiving a pay raise; the Fire and Sheriff’s Departments are fully staffed. Building a new school was dismissed, but renovation was discussed. Councilman Osborne responded to suggestions and questions from members and guests present at the meeting on these and other topics of interest in Bristol.
- Chairman Carl Williams updated his bracket of Democratic Presidential hopefuls.
- We attended to ordinary business and reports. For those unable to attend who wish to contribute, our postal mailing address is: Bristol VA Democratic Committee, P.O. Box 17452, Bristol, VA 24209-7452. You can contribute on line at Http://www.bristolvademocrats.org through Act Blue.
Events to remember:
- 4th of July Parade, Thursday, July 4, 5:00 p.m., State Street, in Downtown Bristol VA-TN
Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee (BVDC) Regular Calendar for July 2019:
- Committee Meeting, Monday, July 8th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. City Councilman Anthony Farnum plans to be with us if he can, and we look forward to hearing from him. Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are represented by the committee, and are encouraged to attend and become involved in committee activities.
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, July 15th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are welcome.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, July 20th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, VA. Guests are welcome. Attendees pay individually for breakfast. Join us for coffee and conversation!
Hope to see you in July!