- In August NPR reported that Senator Bernie Sanders plans to introduce a bill for Medicare for All in the Senate in September. Senator Kamala Harris, D-California, has joined as a co-sponsor.
- In the House of Representatives, a well-defined bill for Medicare for All (HR676) was introduced January 24th by Rep. John Conyers, Jr, D-MI, and referred to House committees on Energy and Commerce, Ways and Means, and Natural Resources. On February 10th, the bill was also referred to the Subcommittee on Indian, Insular and Alaska Native Affairs. This bill currently has 117 cosponsors in the House.
- More facts and statistics in support of single payer are visible on Facebook and Twitter, and the topic is in the news. Search for Medicare for All, Single Payer Health Insurance, etc. on line to find articles in major and trusted sources.
- Look for local presentations on the topic.
State Democrats on the Nov. 7 ballot in Virginia:
- Ralph S. Northam for Governor
- Justin E. Fairfax for Lieutenant Governor
- Mark R. Herring for Attorney General
Local Democrats on the Nov. 7 ballot in Bristol VA:
- Cloe Eva Barker for Commissioner of Revenue
- Joe R. Mink for Sheriff
Our scheduled meetings in September, with a December reminder:
- Monday, September 11: BVDC Committee Meeting at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA.
- Thursday, September 14: Washington County Democratic Committee Meeting at 6 p.m. at The Southwest Virginia 4H Center, 25236 Hillman Highway, Abingdon, VA 24210. Links to FB and contact information is on their website at www:WashCoVADems.org
- Friday, September 15: time and location to be announced, Tim Kaine Breakfast in Abingdon. This is not a fundraiser, but an opportunity to meet Senator Kaine.
- Saturday, September 16: at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol. Good conversation, no agenda. Attendees pay separately for breakfast.
- Monday, September 18: TN-VA Democratic Social at around 5:00 p.m. Due to the Rhythm & Roots Reunion in town Friday-Sunday, a lot of Bristol’s restaurants, including the State Line, will be closed on Monday, Sept. 18. MACADO’ S will be open. and we will meet there. Hope to see Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, etc., at this informal monthly gathering. Whether you are a member of any party or none, drop in sometime around 5. It’s okay to come late, but we are usually heading for home around 7.
- Coming in December, time and date to be announced: We will be electing new members and new officers in the Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee. Bristol VA voters who are Democrats, along with like-minded Bristol VA voters, are invited to apply for membership. Come to any of our meetings to socialize and/or get information about membership, committee activities, or issues of the day. Remember that the committee represents you, and the committee is composed of those willing to join together to seek and support candidates for public office.