Thank you to all who turned out for the Democratic Primary! In Bristol VA we had 512 votes for Joe Biden, 325 for Bernie Sanders, 94 for Elizabeth Warren, and 74 for Michael Bloomberg. Other than these top four candidates, others listed on the ballot received from 0 to 8 votes. The turnout for Bristol was 9.5% of registered voters, which is a good turnout for a Democratic Primary.
We have an election on May 5, for Bristol City Council and School Board. Please inform yourself on the candidates and participate in this important election. Remember that you can go to bristolva.org/elections and find information on what ID is required to vote, restoration of rights, deadlines for registration, absentee ballot, etc. Be an informed voter, check out the elections web page, and be familiar with the candidates. There is also a Facebook page for our elections office, Bristol VA Elections and Voter Registration. If you follow that Facebook page, you have already seen our candidates for local office posted yesterday. They are:
- City Council
- Anthony M. Farnum
- Michael W. Pollard
- Ric S. Watts
- Kevin N. Mumpower
- School Board
- R. Tyrone Foster
- Frank Goodpasture III
- Jean P. Mulumba
- Ginger N. Fleenor
In-Person Absentee voting for the 2020 City Council and School Board Election begins on Friday, March 20, 2020, and is open during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m M-F at the office of the Registrar at City Hall. The office will also be open for absentee voting on Saturday, May 2nd, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., the last day for in-person absentee voting in the local election.
The Virginia Presidential Primary is over, but these Elections are still to come in 2020:
- General Election May 5, 2020 (School Board and City Council)
- June Primary (if needed)
- General Election November 3, 2020 (Presidential election)
Check your registration, especially if you did not vote in the previous election, and pay attention to the registration deadlines. You can use the link to official information on all elections in Bristol to check your registration.
Calendar for March:
- Committee Meeting, Monday, March 9th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. This is the regular Committee Meeting of the Bristol VA Democratic Committee. All Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are encouraged to attend.
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, March 16th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal social gathering. Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends from both Bristols and the surrounding area are welcome.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, March21st, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7, in Bristol, VA. This is a social occasion without an agenda, and guests are welcome. Attendees order and pay individually. At breakfast we usually have informative and lively discussions of issues and current events.
Hope to see you in March!