We hope that all of you who are interested in political action this month will take a break from theTV news and come out to be with Democrats and help us make news in 2019-2020! Our calendar appears below, with date and location for three scheduled meetings and a couple of other interesting events. The business meeting for members and visitors seeking membership is Monday May 13, our Breakfast with Democrats at Golden Corral is Saturday May 18, and our TN-VA Social with Tennessee, Virginia, and regional Democrats.
News from our April meeting:
- Chairman Carl Williams distributed information on current officeholders and a calendar of upcoming elections
- Carl also provided an updated 2020 Democratic candidate bracket
- Circuit Court Clerk Kelly Duffy described her work, which requires over 800 statutory duties. Recently she worked with an archivist from the Library of VA to preserve documents from before 1913 (pre-Bristol) into a digital format. Much of her work involves issuing deeds and handgun permits, in addition to court proceedings. Kelly informed us that the circuit court is now capable of receiving online payments.
- The committee welcomed one new visitor. Visitors are welcome, and we hope to build membership to support candidates in the upcoming elections in 2019 and 2020.
- As usual, we attended to ordinary business and treasurers report information. For those unable to attend who wish to contribute, we receive mail at Bristol VA Democratic Committee, P.O. Box 17452, Bristol, VA 24209-7452 or you can contribute on line through Act Blue using the link on the top right.
Events to remember:
- Historic District Preservation Awards ceremony for the City of Bristol, VA. Thursday, May 16, at 1:00 p.m. at the Birthplace of Country Music Museum. Thank you to Catherine Brillhart for reminding us of this important Bristol event.
- GOP Primary Tuesday, June 11. Polls will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Absentee voting for the Primary is now in progress 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the office of Penny Limburg, Director of Elections and General Registrar of Voters, at City Hall, 300 Lee Street, Bristol Virginia.
Here is our Bristol Virginia Democratic Committee (BVDC) Regular Calendar for May 2019:
- Committee Meeting, Monday, May 13th, at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA. Democrats registered to vote in Bristol Virginia are represented by the committee, and are encouraged to attend and become involved in committee activities.
- Breakfast with Democrats, Saturday, May 18th, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, VA. Guests are welcome. Attendees pay individually for breakfast. Come and join us for coffee and conversation!
- TN-VA State Line Social, Monday, May 20th, at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting of Democrats, Attendees order and pay individually. Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins from both Bristols and the surrounding area are invited.
Hope to see you in May!