Times and locations have yet to be announced, but there will be four candidate forums with the candidates for nomination for Virginia’s Ninth District seat in Congress. Save these dates so you can attend one or two of the forums:
- January 27 (Pennington Gap, Justin Soto moderator),
- February 24 (Clifton Forge, Sen. Creigh Deeds moderator),
- March 24 (Martinsville, Carmen Forman moderator),
- April 21 (Wytheville, David Bailey moderator).
These area events are on the calendar, celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr Day and the legacy of Dr. King:
- Thursday, January 11, 4:30 and 6:00 pm: Unity Project, a conversation about community and diversity at Bristol YWCA.
- Friday, January 12 at 5:30 pm. Movie, Hidden Figures and “Talk Back”. E&H Wiley Auditorium.
- Saturday, January 13, 1:30 pm: Annual MLK March from Charles Wesley UMC to Abingdon UMC
- Saturday, January 13, 2:00 pm: Annual MLK Celebration at Abingdon UMC
- Sunday, January 14, Lee Street Baptist Church, 4 to 5:30 pm
- Sunday, January 14 Emory and Henry College Memorial Chapel, 6-9:00pm. Tunnel of Oppression
- Monday, January 15, Kingsport, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Parade participates will need to assemble at 11:15 a.m. at the intersection of E. Sevier & Center Street (Rikki Rhoton Allstate Insurance Co.’s Parking Lot). Kingsport: 11:30 Parade, lunch at community center, 6 pm candlelight vigil.
- Monday, January 15, Johnson City 12:30th a 1:30 celebration at Greater Love Church.
- Monday, January 15, Bristol The Legacy Lives! Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration. Bristol TN/VA will hold a community-wide march and celebration on Monday, January 15 in celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The Legacy Lives will begin at 1:30 pm with gathering at the YMCA, Bristol TN or First Christian Church, Bristol VA. The groups will walk to the Bristol Trainstation, meeting under the sign for photos before entering the station. A program will begin at the Trainstation at 2:30 featuring video interviews, readings from Dr. King, and music. Refreshments will follow. Handicap and senior parking will be reserved in the Trainstation parking lot. Call the YWCA, 423-968-9444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Monday, January 15 at 9:30am. MLK keynote speaker for Emory and Henry. E&H MCA Kennedy-Reedy Theater – other workshops and events follow on that day.
Again, thank you to all who attended the reorganizational caucus! We have our membership and officers for the 2018-2019 term, as listed in an earlier post. Our committee remains small, and new membership interest is still welcome.
Many thanks to Anthony Flaccavento for coming to be with us at our last regular committee meeting. We had a good turnout and a lively discussion, and there is energy behind his campaign for U.S. House of Representatives, Virginia 9th District. Make a donation or volunteer here.
Congratulations to our new Virginia team, Ralph Northam, Justin Fairfax, and Mark Herring. They know that we expect great things! In addition, we elected many Democrats to the legislature this past November, which is hopeful news for Medicaid expansion in Virginia!. In May 2018 we will have an opportunity to elect local officials who will work on issues important to Bristol residents, and in November 2018 we will re-elect Tim Kaine to the U.S. Senate, and elect a Democrat to represent the Ninth District in the U.S. House of representatives.
Here are our events for January 2018:
- Saturday January 6: Thank you to VA 9th CD Chair Deb Baum for this information. “We’re celebrating our 2017 election victories just before the events in Richmond on the 13th. Proceeds to support the election (and re-election) of Democrats in Virginia’s Fightin’ 9th CD.”
- dress: blue jeans & ball gowns (casual to dressy)
- Saturday, January 6, 2018 7-10 pm
- Virginia Ballroom – The Community Center of Abingdon (300 Senior Dr NE, Abingdon, VA 24210; map, click here)
- tickets $25/person, click here, other contribution levels appreciated (ticket includes admittance, appetizers & light fare)
- cash bar (wine & beer)
- flyer, click here
- Facebook, click here
- Monday, January 8: Committee Meeting at 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Bristol Virginia Courthouse, 497 Cumberland St., in Bristol, VA.
- Saturday, January 13: Ralph Northam Inaugural Ball in Richmond, VA. Before they sell out, click here to buy your tickets to Governor-elect Northam’s Inaugural Ball on Saturday, January 13, at 8 p.m. in Richmond! They’re going fast, so hurry!
- Monday, January 15: TN-VA Democratic Social at around 5:00 p.m. at the State Line Bar and Grille, 644 E. State St., Bristol, TN, 37620. This is an informal meeting of Democrats, Progressives, Liberals, and our political friends and cousins. Attendees order and pay for food and drinks individually, but the conversation is free.
- Saturday, January 20: Breakfast with Democrats, at 9:00 a.m. at the Golden Corral, Exit 7 in Bristol, Virginia. Good food, great conversation, no agenda, guests welcome. Attendees pay separately for breakfast.
Thank you for your responses to the Calendar e-mail! Hope to see you at one of our events in January!